As we age, dead skin cells do not slough off as easily as when we are younger, causing the skin to appear dull. Light, medium and deep chemical peels are a popular nonsurgical cosmetic procedure used to peel away the skin’s top layer to improve sun-damaged, unevenly pigmented and wrinkled skin. Improving the evenness of color and texture in your skin creates a youthful look and restores a healthy, luminous and radiant appearance.
When to Consider Chemical Peels
- If you have wrinkles or sun-damaged skin.
- If you have skin discolorations, blotchiness or brown spots.
- If you have scars that have made the surface of your skin uneven.
- If you have certain precancerous skin growths.
Many people who consider chemical peels also consider laser skin resurfacing, dermabrasion and facelift.
- No anesthesia or sedation is needed.
- Light and medium chemical peels have minimal aftercare and recovery.
- Deep chemical peels have long-lasting effects on treating deep wrinkles.
- After peel, there will be sun sensitivity and pores may appear larger.
- Deep chemical peels may have a bleaching effect.
- Can exacerbate skin disorders, including allergic reactions or cold sores.
These are the top three pros and cons to weigh when considering chemical peels. If you wish to focus on what is unique to you, please consult with your aesthetic plastic surgeon.
Am I a good candidate for a chemical peel?
The following are some common reasons why you may want to consider a chemical peel:
- You have sun-damaged skin
- You have significant facial wrinkling
- Your skin color is uneven with blotchiness, sunspots and brown spots
- You have scars that have made the surface of your skin uneven
- You have certain precancerous skin growths
Other characteristics of your skin, such as its thickness and texture, may influence whether you are a good candidate for chemical peels.
If you are in good general health, have a positive attitude and realistic expectations, you are most likely a good candidate for this procedure.
Contact Dr Sreekar Harinatha or Dr Nithya Raghunath for appointments
Mobile: 9902223733 or 9632735005